Sunday, November 8, 2009

Teaching Primary and Such

I was called to serve in the Primary a couple of months ago. I must admit I wasn't very excited about my calling. I knew, though, that if I was to do what the Lord wanted me to do that I would need to change my attitude. Today, as I was looking at the back of my daughter's Friend magazine, I realized that there were some helps for dealing with children in primary. You can find these same helps by following this link:

http://lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,5812-1,00.html

I did the lessons in loving and understanding the children today. While watching these lessons it reminded me of my time on my mission. I realized that on my mission I was constantly praying for and thinking about those I was teaching. I worried about them and wondered how I could teach them the doctrines of the gospel. I realized that I haven't even been thinking about the children I teach during the week. Instead, I wake up Sunday morning, hurry and plan my lesson, and go off to church, hoping they will listen to my lesson. I need to be better. I need to take the time to read my lesson the week ahead. Then, I need to think about how I can teach the lesson to MY class, thinking of their personalities and knowldege of the gospel.

So, after taking those little mini classes, I then went on to read my lesson for next week. I actually took the time to look up the scriptures and read them. Usually I just look at the lesson manual and ignore the scriptures until I get to class and then I have the children read them (great example, huh?!!)

Anyways, my lesson next week is on how the first pioneers paved the way to the Salt Lake Valley. I was reading in Doctrine & Covenants 136 where it talks about the organizing of the Saints to move West. I loved the whole reading! I think my favorite verse, though, was 29: "If thou art sorrowful, call on the Lord thy God with supplication, that your souls may be joyful." I loved this verse because I often find myself having little pity parties. But, I know that if I turn to the Lord in prayer that my sorrow can be replaced with joy.

I am so glad I actually took the time to read the scriptures for my lesson today. I needed to know what they taught before I had my children read them aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment